Qualifications for Associate Pastor of Student Ministries and Outreach
- Embodies the qualities of a faith filled leader as outlined in 1Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9 and 1 Peter 5:1-4.
- Exemplifies the life of a fully committed disciple of Christ.
- Faithful to Biblical doctrine and the inerrancy of God’s Word.
- Spiritual leader grounded in faith of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Highly relational with strong people skills.
- Seeks the Holy Spirit in prayer and His Word for inspiration.
- God inspired teacher and preacher the Word of God.
- Successful leadership skills in personnel, financial, and change management.
Education and Experience
- Preferably, ordained as a minister of the Gospel of Christ by the Southern Baptist Convention.
- Preferably, holds an undergraduate degree and a Master of Divinity or comparable graduate degree from a Southern Baptist theological seminary, or an accredited, conservative, evangelical institution.
- Preferably, 2+ years of pastoral experience in a local church as a children’s, youth or associate pastor with knowledge of multi-staff, multi-generational and multi-campus ministries.
Leadership: Lead and wisely delegate team members in the development of clear plans of action for any short- or long-term visions for growth, evangelical endeavors, missions either local or distant under the direction of the Senior Pastor.
Accomplish the church’s mission with effective management of church resources in cooperation with the Southern Baptist Convention, Florida Baptist Convention and/or North Florida Baptist Network.
Preaching/Teaching: Prepare and deliver Biblically based lessons and sermons for worship services (to include on-line services and podcasts) that are relevant to our current spiritual needs.
Ministry/Discipleship: Provide leadership in developing discipleship ministries at Gateway under the direction of the Senior Pastor. Promote a culture of service in the church that will encourage and give others desire to serve in church, local and state/national/international levels. Provide pastoral care and counseling; Minister to and encourage ministries for the sick and those in need.
Missions: Oversee the leadership and direction of church sponsored mission teams. Take an active leadership role in promoting the support of mission work local and distant as well as planting new churches.
Associate Pastor of Student Ministries and Outreach Job Description
The Associate Pastor of Student Ministries and Outreach will give general direction and oversight to the overall student ministry, specifically, planning, conducting, evaluating, and coordinating of the Student and Outreach ministries.
The Associate Pastor of Student Ministries and Outreach will be responsible to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit of his own gifts and abilities as they benefit the church body. This person may have gifts and abilities that God has given for use in the kingdom, that are not included in this job description. The Associate Pastor of Student Ministries and Outreach will be encouraged to develop these gifts as they benefit the ministry of Gateway Baptist Church, although these other ministries should not detract from this job description.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend all staff meetings and church council Attend other meetings as needed.
- Attend relevant seminars and conferences as time and resources
- Through self-initiative, seek out opportunities for continuing education with the objective to stay on top of current trends and for the betterment of self.
- Attend all scheduled church services and family meetings or make arrangements for your coverage for excused absences.
- Teach, facilitate and lead Youth Sunday School and Wednesday evening activities.
- Direct, maintain, and work with a Student Ministries team to develop a balanced program for all students including spiritual, educational, and emotional development.
- Lead the Student Ministries team in implementing a visionary approach to creative youth ministry to include planning, and evaluating events such as retreats, camps, fellowships, seminars, mission trips.
- Evaluate all regular student programs and educational curriculum of the church.
- Continually strive to assimilate new youth and families into the life of the church and encourage disconnected youth to reconnect with the church
- Prepare the annual budget for the needs of youth ministry, and present them to the Stewardship team for review and approval.
- Provide oversight and work with children’s ministries leaders in the planning and coordinating of ministry to the children. (Children’s church, Wednesday night activities, etc.)
- Preach on Sunday Mornings once a quarter, or as instructed by Senior
- Be willing to attain Commercial Drivers License (CDL) for driving the church
- Bachelor’s Master of Divinity degree preferred.
- Understanding of and willingness to serve within the doctrinal commitments of the
- At least 5 years’ experience ministering to students and shepherding student ministry
- Strong ability to lead people of varying ethnicities, socio-economic levels, and
- A desire to disciple, teach, and mentor youth in biblical
- Ability to pass a background
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- A growing Christian faith and
- A commitment to the vision and mission of Gateway Baptist
- A personal calling to pastoral
- Be evangelical in faith, doctrine, and practice as understood by the Baptist Faith and Message.
- Demonstrate effectiveness in personal witness and in the implementation of an effective
- Have a personal character and lifestyle, family life, emotional and physical state of health that is acceptable in accordance with 1 Timothy 3.
- Possess strong motivational skills, a high level of organization, and an understanding of the diplomacy and flexibility when working in a church setting.
- Ability to provide Christian counsel to parents, youth, and children on contemporary
- Ability to plan, organize, train, and supervise youth and
- Experience in leading a variety of types of programs for youth and
Chain of Command
Will report directly to the Senior Pastor as per the Policies and Procedures Manual of Gateway Baptist Church.
The salary and other benefits will be determined by experience, commensurate with other staff members, and within the approved salary guidelines revealed in the annual budget. The Stewardship Team will review the salary each year.
Position is open until filled. All information submitted will remain confidential and seen only by the Gateway Baptist of Lake City, Florida Associate Pastor Search Team
Who We Are
Gateway Baptist Church of Lake City, Florida is a congregation (body, fellowship, community, family….) of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, established in March of 1999. Our membership is multi-generational, including families who have been members since the church began and believers who have recently moved to our area and joined our membership.
Gateway Baptist is committed to welcoming all who seek to have a relationship with the Living God, thru His son, Christ Jesus. We strive to care for the 14 acres of land and 14,000 SF of facilities the Lord has entrusted to us (we are mortgage-free) to serve the Lake City area and surrounding communities. We offer a blend of traditional and contemporary worship services, a warm and inviting atmosphere of fellowship, and Christ-centered, Biblically grounded opportunities to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord. Gateway is an active partner with the Southern Baptist Convention, Florida Baptist Convention, and the North Florida Baptist Network to accomplish the Great Commission (Matt 28: 19-20) as our Lord has given us.
As we seek an Associate Pastor of Student Ministries and Outreach, we continue to reach our students through a growing and thriving children’s ministry and youth ministry. We have seen significant growth in both in the last few months. We have a wholehearted group of volunteers eagerly helping and facilitating growth of Jesus Christ in our students. Our students play an integral role in Sunday morning worship services while learning about giving to the Lord, through our weekly children’s offering. This offering goes to specifically to missions (Annie Armstrong, Lottie Moon, Operation Christmas Child, etc.) We believe in an integrated approach to student ministries, meaning our students are not outsiders to the church family, but rather they are an integral part of our current and future ministries. Both children and youth ministries are providing summer camp opportunities for any who wish to attend and encourage all ages to serve each other in Christ’s love.
What We Believe
The members of Gateway Baptist Church agree with and support the confessions of faith as detailed in the “Baptist Faith and Message 2000” on the Southern Baptist Convention website, https://bfm.sbc.net/bfm2000/. The eighteen areas provide the detailed tenements of our belief and faith position; to quote the SBC committee on this process:
“Baptist churches, associations, and general bodies have adopted confessions of faith as a witness to the world, and as instruments of doctrinal accountability. We are not embarrassed to state before the world that these are doctrines we hold precious and as essential to the Baptist tradition of faith and practice.” https://bfm.sbc.net/
We are On Mission for Christ as we bring the Gospel to the world, disciple believers in spiritual growth, and empower families to stand firm in the truth of Scripture.
Our strategy for accomplishing our simple mission of, “Go and make disciples,” found in Matthew 28:19-20, is we...
- Bring the Gospel – Acts 1:8
- Disciple Believers – Romans 1:15-17
- Empower Families – 2 Corinthians 5:17
We have five Core Values that define who we are, and why we exist as a church family:
- Transformation Truth – John 17:17
- Authentic Relationships – Acts 2:42
- Persistent Prayer – Jeremiah 33:3
- Urgent Evangelism – Mark 16:15
- Joyful Generosity – Hebrews 13:16